Thursday, March 26, 2009

A sad day at the Morgans

Today is a sad day in our household. I lost a dear friend who I've known for nearly 10 years. At first we didn't hit it off so well, she seemed snobby and wealthy, but we grew to be close.

She was there with me when I graduated college.
She was there with me when I started my first job.
She was there with me when I got my first apartment.
She was there with me when I had my first real boyfriend and subsequent first real breakup.
She was there with me when I taught Bible Study for the first time.
She was there with me when I joined the missions committee.
She was there with me when I decided to return to Africa, possibly long term, and was there when I came back.
She was there with me when I went to India, and again, waited for me to return, and was there when I did return.
She was there with me when I met Chris.
She was there with me through all of our dating.
She was there with us on our wedding day, and waited for us expectantly when we returned.
She was there with us when we moved to San Antonio.
She was there with us when we started working with single soldiers.
She was there with us when we had our first son John.
She was there with us when we moved to Killeen.
She was there with us when we had our second son Benaiah.

She was there with me when I was struggling with being in America after just returning from Africa in 2000. In fact right around then was when we met.

She was there with me on my first road trip to Oklahoma to see my roommate from Africa graduate, and get married(two different trips) and many subsequent trips (numerous trips to Oklahoma to see Nils & Scarlett, trip to Virginia for Micah & Grace's wedding, trip to St. Louis to visit Jeremy & Sandy, trip to Galveston to see Sarah graduate, trip to Florida for James & Galyn's wedding, trip to Dallas for a SIM conference, & numerous trips to & from San Antonio visiting family)

She was there with me when I ministered to people, starting with taking my little girl (whom I mentored) and her siblings out, to meeting people for coffee, games, videos, chatting, lunch, Bible Study, church, etc.

Yes folks, in case you haven't realized it, I am talking about my car. Today was the last day we were together on this earth.
But all is not lost. It can indeed be a glad day, for she has been replaced-as if that's possible- by this:

A slate green (really it looks blue silver) 2009 Honda Odyssey. We got an amazing deal on it since we knew the sales director and the finance director.

John: Is this really ours??

Chris checking out all the features

John: I could get used to this. Note, right before plopping down in the drivers seat, he was standing in between the two seats messing with the air/radio controls

All packed up in our dear old friend. I do have better pictures of her, but I'd have to dig them out and scan them, so this will have to do!

Well nameless car (she was never named since I really didn't want her as I was struggling with coming back from Africa and not wanting possessions), you have served me/us well. You will be missed. Hopefully you can go on to assist another as well as you did us.

5 comments:

Julie Carroll said...

I have been slacking in the blog world... but I caught this post. I LOVED it. What a beautiful new car. Very exciting!

Jennifer Owens said...

Wow, I was getting really sad for you and started wondering who this person was. I was kind of relieved afterwards to know it was a car and not an actual person. (o:

Congrats on the new vehicle - you're officially a mini-van momma! (o: You can fit at least five more kiddoes in there right?

JimKels said...

NOT nice. I was seriously sad for you, and it was all about you crossing over into the mini van world!!! Have fun with that, I personally can't do the mini van thing, but yours looks super nice!!

Briggs said...

We also lost a dear friend - my white truck! It was replaced with a Odyssey also and I love it! With two kids it's the way to go! BTW, I've been reading your blog since before Benaiah (did I spell it right?) was born. Our second was born just days later. We'd love to meet up with you cats sometime. Natalie

Dacia said...

i'm sorry for your loss....but i have a feeling you'll be okay! :-)

i was so sad for you at first when i thought it was a person, then i thought....there's no way one person could have been there for all those life events.

taylor's been researching the honda odyssey, so we'll probably be joining you in mini-van land soon. :-)