Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The big 3-0! The Actual Day

Again a draft that I am just now posting...

Chris happened to have a 4 day weekend surrounding Valentines Day, so it ended up being a weekend event, but here is what happened on my actual birthday.
Chris cooked breakfast, breakfast tacos, yum.
We then went to visit the duck pond again, this time so daddy could see John. Kirsten and her girls also joined us. Ben was awake most of this time and was not so impressed with the wind, so I wasn't able to be out there as much as before. But the wind did make for some good kite flying weather, and a fun story. See below

A whole bunch of finches joined our feeding party, and actually ate more of the crackers than the ducks

So, did I mention it was windy. So windy in fact that the kite blew itself right into the tree when Natalie was flying it. Chris was our hero and recovered what we thought to be a lost cause.

Natalie and John cheering him on.

Natalie flying the recovered kite!
John watching it fly
A view of the kite
And another view

So, after playing with ducks & flying kites, Chris took us out to Outback Steakhouse for lunch. I told him that I wanted steak for my birthday "dinner." So we decided to celebrate dinner early & ate lunch at Outback. We even splurged on a blooming onion, and even though our waiter took nearly 10 minutes to come get our drink order, he redeemed himself by bringing us ice cream with chocolate syrup for my birthday without having everybody join and sing! Yay, got the dessert without the embarrassment!



Ben thought the ice cream looked good, but unfortunately (for him!) he didn't get any!

Me & my boys. Nice hat hair John!

After getting ridiculously full, we returned home where the boys took a nap. My mom had sent me a package that I knew had some stuff for the boys, so I waited to open it til after they woke up.
Here is John helping me:

Checking the tag (not really sure why, he never does that!)

Opening his Valentine!



Ben being cute for the camera

Finding a new toy to look at. He was fascinated by the lights this made.

The rest of the evening was spent hanging out as a family, then Chris & I watched a movie after the kiddos went to bed. I can't even remember what movie it was now. I guess I should probably blog a little closer to the time the events occur, so I can remember minute details like this!

2 comments:

KellyM said...

Hey, happy birthday Rachel! 30 huh? Man, Ben is looking like such a little man! He's losing the newborn look, if you know what I mean. What a cutie-pie! Thanks for sharing, and again, happy 30th!

Jen said...

Hey Rachel!

Actually, I believe that hat was given to us when we brought Bryan into the family...I think Betty Jo & Robert Johnson may have handed it down to us from Matthew.