Saturday, May 23, 2009

Easter

Easter was a wee bit strange this year. Last year we hosted people at our house. This year our small group went over to the Pflugs. I'm not sure if it was the fact that we didn't have it at our house, or that we were tired, or that it was rainy, but I had a hard time reflecting on the true meaning of Easter. Maybe it was the fact that the boys and I were having a ridiculously difficult month with sleeping and obedience issues. I think all I wanted to sing that Easter morning was the song, Just You and Me. That song has carried me through these past few months, realizing that these crazy nights of no sleep and days of raising our two under two will pass, and all that matters is Christ, and knowing Him, and making Him known. My favorite line in the song says, "It's just You and me here now, only You and me here now. And You should see the view when it's only You, when it's only You." Putting Christ at the center and focus of our lives puts everything into perspective.
But, alas, I had a hard time doing just that on Easter morning/day. We had invited Chris's platoon sergeant and his wife and daughter to church with us, and they came. I was so excited, but I spent most of the morning praying that God would meet them there. I know she grew up in church, but was turned away do to recent circumstances. He, I don't think has much church experience. It was really neat, b/c we got to go see them the night before and have dinner together and just talk. It was a really neat/relaxing evening. They have a daughter who is just a few months older than John, and are expecting a baby boy in Aug/Sept.
So, I digress. Easter, we went to first service, and then came home, cuz I had to prepare what I was making for the lunch. I started getting really weak and dizzy and tired, and didn't really want to go, but felt like we had helped organize it, so we should go. I think we slept maybe 3 hours the night before due to one of the boys waking up every hour. Once we got to the Pflugs it ended up being a great time. I had some good conversations with Laura & Lisa, and Steph & I played a ridiculously long game of Uno with Lisa's oldest, Taylor. I don't think I have ever played for that long. Both Ben & John ended up napping there which was amazing and wonderful, allowing us some good time of fellowship.
Coming home seemed so anticlimactic. Like there should be something more. I guess Heaven is going to be the fulfillment of the something more. We will never feel that way (that longing for more) again once we are in Jesus's presence. I can't wait!
Before the kids got too cranky, we did manage to sneak in an Easter photo (or 3-when you have two under two it's hard to get everyone looking at the camera at the same time, and sometimes you catch smiles and most times you catch one and not the other smiling).


***notice they are both smiling, but at something on the ground. Go figure!

2 comments:

Jennifer Owens said...

That's interesting that you felt the way you did on Easter. I had the same problem connecting to what the day was all about and longed for some kind of moment to spend with Jesus where it was just me and Him.

I LOVE that song by the way - and how true that we so despearetly need those times with Him.

Jen said...

I love the last pic the best! Sleep deprivation is a nightmare!!!