Thursday, January 31, 2008

Christmas in Montana





Christmas morning came way too fast!! I guess that's what happens when you go to bed at 1:00 (2 TX time), and your little one wakes you up at 5:30. Not exactly how I pictured Christmas morning to go!! :o) Thankfully John went back to sleep at 6, and slept til 8. He was quite lethargic, well fussy rather, likely due to the long day the day before, and the lack of sleep. I was really hoping he would show off how he opens presents, but no such luck.
Chris & I hadn't wrapped any gifts, as we were told that security was randomly checking them. So, after a yummy breakfast of my mom's cinnamon rolls (similar to sticky buns!), I proceeded to wrap. For some reason it took me nearly an hour. My mind wasn't on straight. In the midst of all that, we realized that we were missing half of our gifts- the gift cards, and the picture we were going to give mom. Chris was frantic, thinking he had left them on the plane. After a brief moment of frustration I decided to not let it bother me, and said, "Well, if we left them on the plane, then we blessed someone with a gift." Chris wasn't able to settle down, until he knew whether or not he had left them at Dave & Sarah's. Thankfully the guy who was staying there, was able to find them in the computer bag that we had left b/c we thought we wouldn't need it. Everyone was waiting on me, and once I finished, we all gathered around in the living room, and Dad read the passage in Luke where the Angels proclaim Christ's birth to the shepherds. We had a really good discussion about God becoming Man, and pondered over what the angels thought in it all. We then spent some time praying and thanking God for the year, and for what Christmas means.
My aunt Anna Marie and her two boys, Ian & Michael, showed up as we were finishing praying. Her hubby works at night and he worked Christmas Eve, and was going to work Christmas night, so her and the boys got out of the house for a few days, to hang out with us.
After we finished praying we divvied out the gifts. I think John & Grandma Senecal ended up with the most!! I enjoyed watching everyone! I think that is always my favorite part. Chris & I had to "get back" at the newlyweds, by giving Sarah a taste of her own medicine. We also included T & Sarah in it. We gave them all "fun" PJ's...
After presents, the boys all ran outside to play football, while we finished getting the turkey ready. The meal was wonderful, and afterwards, what better to do in 10 degree weather, but go on a walk, at least according to my dad! It ended up being a lot of fun. John even went! The evening we spent relaxing and playing games. What a sweet time with family!





"Annual" Christmas football game


Family Christmas picture! For more pictures see: http://picasaweb.google.com/armyforchrist/MontanaChristmas

This is a picture of our tree. Someone described it as a Charlie Brown Christmas tree. I was thinking about it that morning, how this particular tree really represents Christmas, and what Christ did for us. He gave his life to bless us, just like the tree's life. He was the Light of the World who came to shine light into the darkness of man's heart, to expose our sin, and to reveal the Truth of God. The tree was full of little lights to be a picture of this. The presents symbolized to me God's grace in giving us things that we don't deserve, but yet he loves to bless us. I also had a unique perspective of Mary having Jesus. Granted I know John is not Jesus, but it was very unique to experience his first Christmas, and understand more fully how and why Mary "treasured & pondered all these things in her heart." (Luke 2:19)

No comments: