Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Mother's Day May 11th

Well, I took a break from catching up on all the majors to show you in the last post what John has accomplished!! Now back to the grind!
Mother's Day was really special. John woke up in a good mood (always a plus). We went to early service, partially so we could beat the eating out rush, and partially so it would work with John's nap schedule. The service was small compared to the later one (this was prior to them switching the Sunday School hour to the later one). Every year the church gives out flowers to certain mothers (ie the oldest mother, the mother with the oldest kid present, the mother with the most kids-our church has a few families with 6 or greater kids, etc.) Because we happened to go to the service with fewer young moms, I won the flowers for mother with the youngest baby (John was 9 months old). Quite a long shot, but the only other mom who was present had a son who was one. I almost ended up winning two bouquets, because they did mom who was due the soonest. Thankfully there was a girl there who was ready to pop, so I wasn't greedy! However, half of the church who didn't know I was pregnant found out that morning!!
After church, I was really craving strawberry pancakes from IHOP, and Chris wanted breakfast tacos. As the line was out the door at IHOP, and Rosa's doesn't make breakfast tacos, we went home and created our own little brunch with both, plus some cinnamon rolls!! Yummm!
The afternoon was pretty mellow, hanging out with each other and John. We went to our neighbor's house who were grilling and enjoyed hamburgers and pork chops, along with some other couples they knew from his unit. The wives enjoyed John, and the guys enjoyed shop talking. It was a lot of fun hanging out and meeting new people, and watching how people interact. I love just sitting back and watching and listening to people. If I had nothing else to do, I would do it for hours. I guess that's why I have a child to chase, so I'm not sitting staring at people!!!!! :o) Although Chris occasionally catches me zoning out when he's talking to me and knows I'm eavesdropping on conversations around me!!
Before we put John to bed we took some Mother's Day pictures. Here they are:




I had to show off my floweres too!!! John was having a hard time smiling and was really squirrely, so we got good squinting at the camera shots!! Hmm, apparently I covered up my belly. Sorry no belly shots of the new one yet. Maybe later.

It was a fabulous, relaxing, perfect day, with lots of time to reflect and enjoy my family! What a blessing to be a mommy! However, most of the day my mind was on those dear and close friends I have who either didn't have a mommy anymore, or were desiring to be a mom and were not yet able to. I was constantly praying for peace and comfort on a day when it is so easy to feel hurt and pain and questions as you are constantly reminded of what you don't have. I kept remembering the baby, Pepin who we lost, and being truly thankful to have the 1 1/2 children we have. The Lord truly is the One who gives us life every day and I am truly thankful.

1 comment:

Jen said...

This last photo is my favorite...so happy!